NAU MAI, HAERE MAI
The Ōtara Kai village is a resident led initiative under The Community Builders NZ Trust with a vision to change community mindsets and behaviours relating to food, health, and well-being. Our whole model is based around Kai, Connection & Creation weaved through social eco-sustainable practices & culture.
- Animate & bring life back into the Ōtara town centre.
- Create a social environment that's safer and more beautiful.
- Maximise positive community impact through collaboration.
- Provide employment training and work experience opportunities.
- Contribute to bringing economic opportunity to our community that struggles at times.
- Promote Maori and Pacific food choices & culture to highlight South Auckland's point of difference.
- Contribute to a food secure Ōtara through the rescue and re-distribution of good kai that would otherwise go to landfill.
- Providing dignified access to quality healthy 'must have' items of food at an affordable price, to enable a health & well-being promoting environment.
- Evolve financially viable, co-operative community enterprises that are sustainable and provide a platform for increasing whanau-led and social enterprise development.
- Model and communicate environmentally sustainable practices through a zero waste kaupapa, carbon emission reduction and other environmental initiatives.